8 June 2019
It’s Time To Paint
Big Wheel Lift #1 has now lifted 9,101 marbles, about 5,000 of them under power. The mechanisms are performing very reliably. It’s time for paint!
During the disassembly process I photograph every step and then using a Google product called ‘Slides’ I prepare a record of the disassembly and I print it out and sleeve the pages and keep them in a 3 ring binder. These disassembly images are important not only for the process of reassembly, but they are important when creating the next version of the Big Wheel Lift.
The painting process will be more fully documented in the weeks to come but is basically this:
- Fill and sand everything, to 120.
- Spray paint the 1st coat of primer (charcoal automotive) then sand to 220.
- Spray the second coat of primer (grey automotive) then sand to 220
- Spray final two+ coats of enamel on a few pieces.
- Most all else is hand painted using acrylic paint. I’ve not finalized the color pallette yet.
- Some components are copper leafed.
As I have worried about how to finish my bipeds I’ve decided that I want them clad in copper leaf. I received my shipment of copper leaf and the size and have begun experimenting. I like what is happening and think that copper leaf will be a good biped solution. I am also planning to copper leaf a couple of the drive components.
I’ve done nothing with A Sunday Drive this past week. All in good time.